CGCookie – Fundamentals of Pathfinding
This course will teach you the fundamentals of using the Pathfinding system in Unity. Using a character prefab to act as our non-playable character we’ll utilize him to seek out and navigate to the character we are actively controlling.
The things we’ll discuss include:
- Creating a Nav Mesh to determine walkable and non-walkable areas
- Applying a Nav Mesh Agent to a non-playable character
- Utilizing areas to determine which areas are more costly to navigate through
- Using off-mesh links for obstacles that a character can jump across or step down from
- Dynamic obstacles that our AI character can navigate even if the obstacle is moving around
By the end of this course you’ll have the basic understanding of AI which can be applied to animated and non-animated characters. This is the first step toward developing a game that contains AI. Games like first person shooters, adventure and even RPGs all utilize some form of navigation. Learn how to adapt this to your very own game.